Portable, Battery Powered Mono Wavetable Synth
Modal Electronics are proud to announce the next generation of the successful CRAFTsynth – their Modal CRAFTsynth 2.0.
A true evolution of the species, Modal CRAFTsynth 2.0 draws on the raw synthesis power of the original CRAFTsynth but adds a huge range of new features and again raises the benchmark on what a compact, portable battery powered synthesiser can do.
Incorporating the design ethos first seen in the the recently released Modal SKULPTsynthesiser, CRAFTsynth 2.0 delivers unprecedented sonic versatility and sound design potential, in a completely portable package.
CRAFTsynth 2.0 retains many of the core features of the original such as
- 8 oscillators per voice
- 2 selectable waveforms
- Morphable state variable filter
- Multi-option unison / spread
- Waveshaping distortion
- Touch pad scales
Among others, while still introducing new and unique features to this next generation evolution.
CRAFTsynth 2.0 packs real oscillator power: a total of 40 waveforms to choose from, and with the ability to select and morph between the waveforms in a bank, CRAFTsynth 2.0’s eight oscillator banks cover Virtual Analogue, Digital and Generative waves as well as a selection from the Modal Electronics 002 Polyphonic Synthesiser. All in a battery powered device that fits in your hand!
Taking sound design potential into new territory, CRAFTsynth v2.0 features 16 oscillator modulation ‘Modifiers’ that allow the user to process and cross modulate between CRAFTsynth 2.0’s two oscillator sets to create truly unique, new and exciting sonic textures.
A quick overview of its features shows CRAFTsynth v2.0 really pushes the bar up in terms of power-to-footprint ratio:
• 8 oscillators in total with 2 selectable waveforms and mixer stage
• 40 unique waveforms available split into 8 banks of 5 morphable waveform sets
• Virtual Analogue waveforms
• Digital waveforms
• Generative waveforms
• A selection of waveforms from the Modal 002 NCO oscillators
• Process and cross modulate waveforms with 1 of 16 oscillator modifiers including
• Frequency / Phase Modulation
• Hard / Window Sync,
• Ring / Amp Modulation,
• Derez / Bitcrush,
• Wavefolders and
• Multi option Unison / spread to detune the 8 oscillators for a big sound
• 3 x separate envelope generators for Filter, Amplitude and Modulation
• 2 x separate audio rate LFOs
• 8 sources each with their own destination
Assignable from CRAFTsynth front panel
Assignable from MODALapp
• Built in programmable sequenced arpeggiator with real time transpose
• 2-pole resonant filter with morphing from Low Pass, through Band Pass, to High Pass modes
• Delay and distortion (waveshaping overdrive) effects
• Optional MIDI clock sync for LFOs and Delay
• 64 patch preset storage locations
• 8 key touch MIDI keyboard with 8 custom scales and root note selection
• MIDI DIN in and out
• Analogue clock sync in and out (configured to the KORG / Teenage Engineering specification)
• Class compliant MIDI provided over USB connection to host computer or tablet
• Headphone and line output
• Powered by USB or 3 x internal AA batteries
• Optional software editor available for macOS, Windows, iOS and Android
• 12 front panel endless rotary encoders – each of which transmits MIDI CC’s making CRAFTsynth 2.0 even more useful as a control surface for apps etc.
• Portable and compact design
Modal CRAFTsynth 2.0 measures only 150 x 135 x 68mm (6”x5 1/2”x 3”) and weighs around 300g (less than 1lb) and can be powered by either 3 x AA batteries or USB giving you the freedom to unleash your creativity in the studio, on the road or on the stage.
USB connectivity isn’t just for power; Modal CRAFTsynth 2.0 provides a Class Compliant USB MIDI connection, enabling CRAFTsynth 2.0 to play in an integrated setup with MacOSX, Windows or iOS & Android tablets and phones.
The MODALapp editor provides complete visual access and control to all of the features of CRAFTsynth 2.0, along with tight integration of Modal’s first generation CRAFT devices (CRAFTsynth 1.0 and CRAFTrhythm), as well as the Modal SKULPTsynthesiser – letting you work across all the Modal instruments in your rig with one unified high quality editing environment on the platform of choice including MacOSX, Windows or iOS & Android.
CRAFTsynth 2.0 delivers unparalleled I/O options for its size, including DIN MIDI in and out (with an option for a soft ‘THRU’), and SYNC in and out over 3.5mm jacks, ensuring CRAFTsynth 2.0 sits in any rig with ease.